Thursday, January 2, 2014

Science fiction and fantasy

I got a little behind the last two months of 2013 with my father-in-law's death in November and gall bladder surgery in December, but I'm back in action for 2014.

I looked at the list of upcoming movies for 2014 and was excited to see so many sci-fi and fantasy titles.  Sci-fi/fantasy is my favorite book genre and many are now being made into films, with the Hunger Games series being the most recent and popular.  

When I teach book genres and come across sci-fi/fantasy, the lesson always sparks good conversation about the similarities and differences between the two genres as well as student favorites.  

Rick Riordan writes the Percy Jackson series beginning with Lightning Thief.  He has also written the Kane Chronicles beginning with The Red Pyramid.  In the Percy Jackson series, the main protagonist is a 12-year-old who discovers that he is the son of the Greek god Poseidon.  The Kane Chronicles feature Egyptian deities and two sibling protagonists.

Roald Dahl is a fantasy author who is being enjoyed by another generation.  Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is still a literary paradise for sweet tooths everywhere, and James and the Giant Peach allows a virtual escape from problems via large pieces of fruit.  The Twits is a lesser known Dahl book with a bit more humor.

The Hunger Games series, although I've known fifth graders to read it and watch the films, was written more for the young adult age group, with a 16-year-old protagonist and more mature themes.  It crosses into the sci-fi realm with a futuristic setting and crossbred species.

No comments:

Post a Comment