Monday, July 28, 2014
Amazon Kindle Unlimited and libraries
Recently Amazon announced the launch of Kindle Unlimited, which gives users access to thousands of Kindle books for $9.99 a month, reviving the debate over whether e-books would lead to the demise of libraries.
I'm an Kindle reader myself and have not subscribed to the service. I'm not one to just browse books, with the occasional exception of the Kindle Daily Deals; I do a search for a specific one that I have heard about and download it. But regardless, a ten-dollar subscription is not going to lead to the demise of libraries as long as library cards are free.
I agree that libraries ignore the rise of e-readers to their own peril. I received 100 e-books a few months ago, downloadable onto a tablet via my library's online catalog, and am looking at the possibility of buying more. My goal is for students with e-readers to be able to access their school library's catalog even when school is not in session and check out books; a middle school in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg system is already doing this successfully, as is a high school in eastern North Carolina. Those are the two schools that I know about; there are likely many more.
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Library also offers e-books in multiple formats. Libraries are not ignoring Kindle, iBooks and Nook readers.
Publishers are still working out the kinks as far as maximizing e-book profits against print book profits when selling to libraries. I noticed a difference when researching e-book vendors in pricing for unlimited lending as opposed to one-borrower-at-a-time lending or a limited number of loans. Some publishers are stricter than others regarding number of uses. However, Amazon has offered Kindle-to-Kindle lending for some time, with some e-book publishers allowing a one-use loan to another Kindle user with others forbidding it.
Amazon or any other company offering "unlimited" e-book loans will not spell "the death of libraries" as some have purported. Libraries, like every other publishing industry in the age of the Internet and digital downloads, will need to revamp itself to accommodate the changes.
But that is already happening.
And I have not even included the many people that I have talked to who still prefer print books.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment